Brownies have to be my go-to dessert. I’m in love with them, so you could imagine how excited I was to come across this recipe from Lucy Watson’s book Feed me Vegan. I immediately sent Damien on the hunt for the ingredients. It took him to 3 shops but I can assure you that’s just men not thinking straight… These ingredients are not gold dust, you should find it in a big local M&S store. I had to give it a go! It was quick and simple and they were to die for and it was a big winner for Charlie too who is a very fussy eatter so that says it all really…
What you’ll need:
- 200g Vegan Chocolate (we used Green & Black’s 85% cocoa – which is accidentally vegan)
- 170g golden caster sugar (we used white caster sugar because Damien couldn’t find golden anywhere)
- 80g vegan butter (for this we used a sunflower spread)
- 190g self-raising flour
- 3tbsp cocoa powder
- 240ml soya milk
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 150g raspberries
- 20g chopped pistachios (we bought shelled and Damien crushed them himself)
1. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees (180 degrees fan, gas mark 6) and line a 20cm square baking tin with grease-proof paper. We didn’t have any grease-proof paper to hand, so we lined it with the sunflower spread instead! We then melted our chocolate in the microwave, making sure it’s nice and chopped, whilst gently melting the butter and sugar in a pan, before mixing it all together in the pan off the heat.
2. Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a large mixing bowl. Add the milk, salt, vanilla and the chocolate mixture. Stir well until completely combined. Add half the raspberries and half of the pistachios to the mixture and stir again.
3. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin. Put the remaining raspberries and the pistachios.
Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes until set but soft. Remember! The residual heat from the tin will continue to cook the brownies after you’ve removed them from the oven, so be careful not to cook them for too long. Otherwise you’ll lose that gooey centre that the perfect brownie is supposed to have!
So give this ago
Enjoy, Bramble Gal xxxx